Sri MGR Year 101, 16th September, Sunday
“The language policy cannot be implemented by laws and threats, it needs a human approach”
After assuming office of the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, our beloved Leader Puratchi Thalaivar MGR continued two language formula. Below are some points he voiced as the ruler of the state.
- Tamil Nadu is implementing the national policy on language but this is not being done in other states.
- Bihar wants only one language, not the three-language formula accepted by all. Such an attitude will not help in maintaining the unity and integrity of the country.
- The Tamil Nadu government is committed to the two-language formula - Tamil for administration in the State and English as the link language.
- My party will be second to none in championing the cause of Tamil.
- The Tamil Nadu government will earnestly consider compensating those who suffered during the anti-Hindi agitations.
- The language policy cannot be implemented by laws and threats, it needs a human approach. No government can impose any language on the people.
- Efficiency in administration should be the main criteria for the language policy.
- The administration of our Tamil Nadu State has not suffered so far because of the absence of Hindi.
- The language chosen should depend not on the majority of people who speak it but on the majority of administrators using it. English is known to all administrators and in my opinion it is the majority language.
- Linking language with employment opportunities is like propagating a British idea.
- Hindi is not used in administration.